Intern (Project Assistant-Data Management) at The International Organization for Migrationwork The International Organization for MigrationplaceLagosDate Posted: 2019-06-06
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. We are hiring an Intern (Project Assistant-Data Management) in Lagos.
SVN No.: CFCV2019.73
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
Type of Appointment: 6 months Internship with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this Programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, and support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the direct supervision of the Senior Database assistant (AVRR), and overall supervision of the Programme Support Officer, the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the data management related activities within Migration Management Unit:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in ensuring regular and quality data collection and management on return operations i.e. new arrivals, types of support provided for returned migrants during arrival assistance, referral etc.;
- Assist in ensuring consistent inclusion of ABN and travel document of new arrivals in the folders;
- Encoding new migrants’ profile forms into database in a timely manner;
- Support the quantitative and qualitative analysis of IOM’s data, preparation of dashboards and statistical summaries, and the distribution of project dashboards and other information outputs;
- Assist with the development of methodologies and tools for data collection;
- Assist in the regular monitoring and maintenance of project databases;
- Ensure availability database records, including travel documents, for case management as at when needed for identification during reintegration counselling;
- Assist in coordination of logistical and other preparations for capacity building activities related to data management;
- Ensure synchronization and tracking of database content and supporting hard copy files;
- Follow up with relevant units to update payment related information on rehabilitation and reintegration support;
- Assist other teams on data management and reporting responsibilities.
- Contribute to implementation of data governance and data protection mechanisms
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, between 19 and 36 years old, who have less than two years of relevant working experience.
- Students holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies;
- Students sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work on specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor;
- Background in Social Work, Law, Economics, International Development, International Relations, business administration and other related Social Sciences
- Expert level experience in using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access and SQL Database Management is required.
- Fluent in English, Working knowledge of local language
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int on or before 18th June, 2019, indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2019.73 Lagos. INTERN (Project Assistant-Data Management)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The International Organization for Migration
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe
Find information about a company or warn innocent job seekers about scam companies. Click here for more information