Finance Intern at Mercy Corpswork Mercy CorpsplaceAbujaDate Posted: 2019-12-03
Mercy Corps, a global non-governmental, humanitarian aid organization, is hiring a Finance Intern in Abuja, Nigeria.
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0040
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the country team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Accounting Manager, the Finance Intern will ensure quality documentation both physically and electronically and assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner and work with the team to facilitate execution of routine tasks.
- Understand Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant requirements and documentation requirements.
- Understand Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
- Quality Control of financial Documents for completeness and proper referencing before archiving
- Archiving of all financial documents in both physical and electronic forms after ensuring they are complete and fully approved and reviewed in accordance with the current AAM.
- Compiling necessary documents for review
- Assist in initial review of Voucher Package documentation and Employee advance clearance for compliance using relevant checklists
- Helps with the process of Organizing and Scanning document packages and any other documents as requested by HQ to be uploaded on File Exchange.
- Assist in mail delivery at banks and other financial institutions while using the appropriate checklist
- Assist in initial sorting and review of timesheets for coding, leave, holidays, etc.
- Manage the Finance Archives and ensure monthly update of the Finance Archiving Index
- Prepare scanned and photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance.
- Support audits (donor, internal, external, statutory and statutory) by retrieving and re-filing documents in a timely manner
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- 1-2 years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
- A Degree in Accounting or a relevant experience in this area is desirable.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, on or before 5th December, 2019, using the "Job Title" as the subject of the mail.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe
Find information about a company or warn innocent job seekers about scam companies. Click here for more information