Agricultural Sales Representative Job Description
An agricultural sales representative is a person who is employed by an agricultural organization for the purpose of representing them in the promotion and sales of their merchandise to farmers and other agricultural workers. An agricultural sales representative sells fertilizers, pesticides, tractors, cultivators, hedge cutters or other products, tools, or equipment used in farming and agriculture.
An agricultural sales representative should be enthusiastic, proactive, patient, affable and helpful, and have good customer service skills. They should have an in-depth understanding of the merchandise they are selling and the ability to communicate effectively to describe and explain the merchandise to clients in the simplest of ways.
What does an Agricultural Sales Representative do?
Agricultural sales representatives may do some or all of the following:
- plan and coordinate products or equipment marketing and sales activities
- contact farmers and other agricultural workers
- recommend and introduce new equipment or products to farmers
- answer phone calls and respond to customer enquires
- negotiate prices and sell agricultural products or equipment
- install and test agricultural equipment and machines
- demonstrate how to use agricultural equipment and products
- report sales statuses to management
- maintain up-to-date knowledge of their company's products and services
- keep an eye on their competitors and their products or services
- train and supervise junior sales representatives
Where does an Agricultural Sales Representative work?
Agricultural sales representatives usually work normal office hours, but may sometimes work evenings and weekends to fit in with their customers’ schedules. They work in offices and on-site, where they meet with customers. They may travel to visit customers or to attend conferences or seminars.
What is Required to Become an Agricultural Sales Representative?
There are no standard educational requirements to become an agricultural sales representative, but a degree in business, marketing and sales, or communication is helpful. Agricultural sales representatives receive training on the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Agricultural sales representatives need to have:
- confidence and assertiveness
- honesty and dependability
- good listening and communication skills
- marketing and basic accounting skills
- problem solving skills
- interviewing and presentation skills
- persuasion and negotiation skills
- the ability to be relate to a wide range of people
- the ability to work well under pressure
- knowledge of farm management
- knowledge of agricultural tools and equipment
- knowledge of the products and services offered by their organization
- knowledge of the products and services offered by their competitors
- knowledge of relevant laws and regulations
- knowledge of customer service principles
Should I be an Agricultural Sales Representative?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Sales Representative
- Beauty Advisor
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com