ISING Program Intern at Mercy Corpswork Mercy Corps NigeriaplaceMaiduguriDate Posted: 2018-08-07
Mercy Corps, an international non governmental organization, is hiring an ISING Program Intern in Maiduguri, Borno
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00031
Dates of Internship: 20-August-2018
Length of Internship: 6 Months
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU tryst Fund and ECHO, the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
- Mercy Corps plans to implement a program in 3 states “ISING” or Investing in the safety and integrity of Nigerian girls targeting adolescent girls and boys affected by the conflict in the Northeast.
- This position will offer the intern an opportunity to understand what Mercy Corps stands for as well as understand the Humanitarian program in Borno State. Working in the I-SING department the Intern will be able to learn how to plan and prioritize work schedule in a fast demanding work environment, in addition to working with adolescents and the community in general.
- The Intern will work with other team members in I-SING as well as other programs and should be able to develop good working relationship with the rest of the team.
- Major part of the job responsibility will be to support in the monitoring of Village Savings and loans Associations (VSLAs) and support with the logistical arrangements of moving to the field and participating in community sensitization.
- Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, the Intern will be responsible for the day to day support to the department specifically:
- Work with the program assistant’s in collecting and compiling all the I-SING documents such as weekly VSLA meeting data, beneficiary lists ensuring they are filed both ins hard and soft copy.
- Under supervision raise PR’s for hotel bookings for any trainings and workshops
- Track all the items that shall be purchased for the use of livelihood activities such as training material, and refreshments
- Support in conducting spot checks for adolescents undergoing vocational skills training, whilst collecting data on attendance
- Support the protection officer in conducting learning session community sensitization in identified communities
- With the support of the assistant’s, track I-SING costs and take the department’s inventory and make request in time
- Support the M&E officer in data cleaning as requested
- Support program team in consolidating program files in preparation for close out
- Support program team to monitor grant utilization for adolescents in the location
- With the support of program officers, contribute to all fieldwork, including monitoring and supporting beneficiaries during spot checks coordinating with community leaders
- Support in conducting monitoring and data collection as directed by the Program Coordinator assisting with specific surveys or assessments as needed
- Support the program assistants in tracking costs as well documentation and filing of all program related files
- Work together with the team to develop movement plans, raise PR’s for materials and hall hire
Ideal candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- BA/S in relevant field preferred
- Good organization skills.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good oral and written skills and computer skills
- Strong computer skills on MS office programs
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa and Kanuri is required
- The program has lots of activities to be implemented that need to be completed within strict timelines. The intern will be expected to work beyond the normal working hours some days and should be able to cope with pressure of doing every task fast, effectively and efficiently.
- Office space as well as working equipment is limited and Intern will have to cope with sharing space as well as equipment with the other team members.
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements by 10th August, 2018.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Mercy Corps Nigeria
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe