Architect Job Description
An architect is a person who designs buildings such as hotels, schools, churches, mosques, skyscrapers and/or private houses. Their job involves discussing with clients to understand their requirements for building projects, creating aesthetically pleasing designs for building projects and testing the designs for feasibility.
An architect should be enthusiastic, imaginative, creative and analytical, and have the ability to take initiative to get things done and manage a team to desired results without external help. They should also have an aptitude for mathematics and a strong sense of design.
Pursue a career in architecture if you are a creative, analytical, and easy going person who has passion for designing buildings.
What does an Architect do?
Architects may do some or all of the following:
- discuss with clients to understand their requirements
- plan and coordinate the design of buildings
- develop design concepts based on clients requirements
- prepare the blueprint for the projects
- specify materials to be used
- advise clients on building procedures and costs
- apply for building and resource consents
- oversee construction projects to ensure that building plans are followed accordingly
- manage and coordinate other parties involved in the project
- plan interior and exterior spaces, and landscaping
Where does an Architect work?
Architects usually work normal office hours, but may sometimes work overtime to meet deadlines. They work in offices and in building sites. They may travel to visit construction sites or to attend conferences or workshops.
What is Required to Become an Architect ?
To become an architect, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in architecture. Architects are required to be licensed to practice.
Just to give you an idea, some of the classes that you’ll be taking in college may include:
- Geometry and trigonometry
- Probability and statistics
- Statics and strength of materials
- Architectural design
- Architectural representation
- History of architecture
- Theory of architecture
- Architectural Structures
- Architectural materials
- Building environment
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Architects need to have:
- accuracy and precision
- good attention to detail
- good interpersonal skills
- good listening and communication skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- technical and design skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- math and computer skills
- negotiation skills
- presentation skills
- time management and organizational skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- the ability to visualize and translate clients' ideas into reality
- the ability to work well under pressure
- knowledge of different styles of architecture
- knowledge of architectural regulations
- knowledge of building methods and materials
- knowledge of project management principles and practices
Should I be an Architect ?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Fine Artist
- Graphic Designer
- Interior Designer
- Civil Engineer
- Construction Contractor
- Quantity Surveyor
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org